Re:Installing Convertible Tops

To: Jim Van Riper <jvr@informix.com>
Subject: Re:Installing Convertible Tops
From: David Rupert <75701.242@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 05 Jun 96 10:53:26 EDT
Cc: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jim,

I replaced my TR7 top last year, and it wasn't that difficult.   It did take the
better part of a weekend, however.  Make sure that you have a good selection of
long and short pop rivets, since some spots in the header rail won't work with a
regular 1/4" rivet.  I also found that I needed some of the larger diameter
sizes, because some of the old rivet holes had gotten larger over the years.  I
found the gripper snaps in the camping section of the local ACO hardware store,
and they were much cheaper than in the automotive catalogs.  Just be very
careful to make sure that the top is centered on the header properly before
riveting.  I tried my best, but still found that the top was shifted slightly to
the passenger side.  It has equalled out after a year of use, but a potential
customer wouldn't know that.

Rupert