Re: GT6 stuff

To: dano@n-jcenter.com
Subject: Re: GT6 stuff
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 23:21:05 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>At 01:17 AM 6/10/96 MDT, you wrote:
>>>
>>Dano,
>> Actually, the Vitesse was the Father of them all.

>> I run a GT6 without O/D. To eliminate the high RPM at road speed, I
>>dropped down to a 3.2.7.:1 ring and pinion, which was standard for non
>>o/d trans.
>> If the car was originally equipped with o/d, odds are, the rear end was a
>>3.8.9:1. Get rid of it. The tranny won't offer much help without the rear
>>end gears.
>> The prices are pretty good. I would go for it.
>> In fact, I would probably offer $300 for the whole car andstrip what I
>>needed and pass along the rest to someone else who may need something you
>>don't.   not have o/d, it wil;l have or at least should have 3.2.7.:1
>>rearend.
>>

>Tony,
>
>    Thanks for the advice (and bit 'o' history).
>
>    After searching all the history that I have about the Bond, they all list
>the rear end as 3.89/1 with or without overdrive.
>
>    I checked with the owners of the boneyard and they state some sort of
>law that forbides them to sell the car as whole, so I will fight the snakes/
>spiders/scorpions and searing heat for the transmission and rear-end.  I
>probably will pass on the drive(prop)-shaft as Richard Jackson points out that
>the length would be too small for the Bond.  But I would be happy to pass it
>along to anyone else for cost+shipping.  The engine (KF528HE) also tempts
>me, but I will have to hold off a bit, unless I can get the owner to throw
>in the
>head with the rest of my booty.

Dano,
 I know little about the Bond. Not insulting your car one bit, but could
it have been the low end of the"totem pole" so to speak?
  The 3.8.9 is definitely  a ratio used in MkI GT6 o/d.
 By going to 3.2.7./1, my road speed and econony improved by tons. Low
end performance suffered greatly. At one point, I was running 4.1.1.
Could get the hole shot on most motorcycles.
 I guess my Wife has gotten her wish. No, I haven't grown up and settled
down. Well, maybe grown up, but one can be immature at any age. I think I
chose to sacrifice performance forroad speed because I only drive the car
to various events and shows, most of which are at least 100 miles away.
 Check the number on the block. If it happens that the engine numbers
begin with CP/CR, CC or CF,then the block is TR250 or early TR6. Nick out
on the West Coast has looked for ages for one of these engines to do a
conversion on a GT6. Please let us know what the numbers are.
Best Regards,
Tony
###