Re: GT6 stuff

To: dano@n-jcenter.com
Subject: Re: GT6 stuff
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 01:17:13 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Tony,
>

>     As you may not be aware, my Bond Equipe is based on the GT6 chassis
>and all mechanicals.  If this were posted to the list I would have to say
>really based on the Vitesse, but we are beyond that.
>
>     A local junkyard has a 71 GT6 that kind of rusted away.  The mechanics
>are all there and visually appear to be in good shape.  The car must have
>just arrived as no parts seem to have been used from it.  The car does have
>the overdrive transmission, which I really covet.  I mean 4000 rpm at 60 mph
>gets a bit tiring after a while.
>
>     Bottom line pricing is this.
>         transmission - $110
>         rear end     - $ 40
>         driveshaft   - $ 15
>         short block  - $185
>
>As this is the first GT6 I have ever seen in any boneyard I am not sure
>about the pricing.(though I suspect it is good)  If I do go ahead and get
>the transmission, do I need the driveshaft or anything else?  Any words of
>advice
>or caution or shortcuts when I go to ease it out?  I would be working in 95
>degree heat inside the GT6 so anything to cut my time inside would be
>appreciated.
>
>          Thanks in advance !
>
>                  Dano

Dano,
 Actually, the Vitesse was the Father of them all.
 The GT6 was not an after thought as many think. Sir Henry Brown was the
mentor of the GT6, wanting to creat a Spitfire design 6 cyl. LeMans Coupe
as the GT6 was originally called. When the Vitesse idea came about he was
the first to push for production so the run could include the GT6.
 The Bond is sort of the step-child of the same parentage as the Vitesse
and GT6.
 If they are indeed that closely related, all the items you list should
be straight bolt on.
 I run a GT6 without O/D. To eliminate the high RPM at road speed, I
dropped down to a 3.2.7.:1 ring and pinion, which was standard for non
o/d trans.
 If the car was originally equipped with o/d, odds are, the rear end was a
3.8.9:1. Get rid of it. The tranny won't offer much help without the rear
end gears.
 The prices are pretty good. I would go for it.
 In fact, I would probably offer $300 for the whole car andstrip what I
needed and pass along the rest to someone else who may need something you
don't.   not have o/d, it wil;l have or at least should have 3.2.7.:1
rearend.
Best Regards,
Tony
###