FW: Spitfire 1500nOil Cooler

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: Spitfire 1500nOil Cooler
From: Alan Coleman <alanco@sybase.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 96 15:23:47 PDT
Cc: self <alanco@sybase.com>
On Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:01:21 -0700 (PDT)  M. Schwemmle wrote:
>Did anyone and an oil cooler to a 1500 engine? Are their any hints? For
>example: where did you mount the cooler? Is any additional hardware
>needed?

I ored an oil cooler to my '79 1500 a couple of years ago (anding yields the
null
set).  Nerd humor aside, it was a really straightforward job.  I mounted the
oil
cooler flush up against the rear of the radiator at the bottom.  So the oil
cooler
is like a second layer of radiator on the engine side of the radiator, if that
makes any sense.  Here's a side view:
        F //
       a //
      n_//
     X //    // = radiator
    X //     X = oil cooler

When mounted this way, the oil cooler needs to be very flush against the
radiator
so that air flow is proper.  If there's too much space, then turbulence occurs
between radiator and oil cooler, which drastically reduces the efficiency of
the
whole mess.

I found there was really only one possible way to route the hoses.  They come
out
inboard of the air pump (from where the oil filter attaches) and bend rightward
attach to the cooler.  They kind of obscure my access to the steering rack
grease
fitting, but other than that they're fine.  It WAS a bitch getting them
positioned
and attached to the adaptor that screws on the oil filter port in the block.

Don't remember what I paid.

So, hope that's useful.  Drop me a line if you want.

AC