Re: Spit Appeal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit Appeal
From: kboetzer@Auspex.Com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:56:42 -0700
This all started with:

> From british-cars-owner@autox.team.net Tue Jun 11 16:34:24 1996
> To: Gehl@sphinx.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil, kboetzer@Auspex.Com, jblair@exis.net,
>         rem9@cornell.edu, CBrown1500@aol.com, TheHerrs@aol.com,
>         kes@acpub.duke.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net,
>         triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Spit Appeal
> Sender: british-cars-request@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>
> In a message dated 96-06-07 07:41:39 EDT, Mark, you write:
>
> > I do not think that the Spitfire
> >is appreciated by many in the british car universe.  I have heard
> >numerous stories of horrendous workmanship, unreliable engines and
> >marginally designed drivetrain components.  I have temporarily
> >abandoned my restoration as I want a dependable car when finished,
> >one that I can have confidence in.  I surmise that by the time
> >Spitfire 1500s were built, the british car industry was down
> >on its heels.  I still do believe that the Spitfire body is one of
> >the most attractive.  I have always loved designs with shapely
> >hips, am I the only one who feels this way?  Mark
>

> In a message dated 96-06-07 12:48:40 EDT, Ken Boetzer writes:
>
> >The cars have a ethereal quality that doesn't appeal to everyone. It may not
> >be the car for you. I think one needs a certain irrational side that needs
> >whatever the British sports car has to offer to feed that portion of ones
> >being. At my age (Old enough to know better.) I still can't see me EVER not
> >owning at least one. I'm sure my freinds would call the mental health hot
> >line
> >if I suddenly sold all of them. (Not that they haven't considered it on and
> >off
> >anyway.) They're quircky cars for quirkey people. I like 'em alot.

SNIP

> In a message dated 96-06-07 16:09:37 EDT, Deb on the web writes:
>
> >I disagree with you both. Jaguar is the best looking car on the road!
> Deb on the web (and in the blue jag)

SNIP

> Well boys, I really thought we'd have more flames flying around after the
> first reply, but except for (Deb on the web) it looks like there are a lot of
> you out there that agree with "Spit appeal". GLAD TO HERE IT! As far as the
> spit list goes, it maybe something to consider but, for now, I'm pretty
> satisfied with what we have here. I DO love my spit but, am also considering
> rearranging some of my "other" toys so that I can make room for maybe another
> LBC or two!  Gotta convince the little woman that it's a good idea!
>
> Later,
>
> JersyA

I'm very happy it didn't turn into a flame fest, as we all have opinions, and
few
are certifiably superior to others (except mine of course.;-).)

I didn't consider Debs a flame. Besides I tend to agree with her, BUT the Jag
falls
into a different demographic zone than the Spitfire so it is a little unfair to
consider direct comparison. Each is a fun car and should be enjoyed for it's own
sake.

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer