Re: TR6 advance/retard hoses

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British-Cars)
Subject: Re: TR6 advance/retard hoses
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 14:30:09 EDT
TJ Noto writes:
>Regarding the Strombergs....I have an interesting situation.  Both the front
>and rear carbs have fittings on TOP of the carbs for what I assume to be
>vacuum advance hoses.  Now the distributor has one advance, and one retard
>hose right?  The manual shows (actually Moss's catalogue) that one hose
>(retard?) actually connects underneath one of the carbs.....

        The connection on top of the rear carb is blind, I think - not drilled
through.  There's a connection hidden on the bottom side of the rear carb for
the retard - if this is there and is not connected or plugged, then that would
make it hard to tune well (big vacuum leak).  It's possible that your
connections really are on the top - the carbs seemed to change more often
than the model years.  See the TRF big catalog for lots of useful
identification info.

>Any other 1970 year model owners able to help?  I'm wondering if DPO connected
>both hoses to "advance" and nothing to retard.

        On my '70, if I remember correctly (I didn't drive it today), the
hose on the bottom rear is for retard, and only retards at idle.  The advance
hose is hooked up to the top front carb, and advances the ignition at part-
throttle cruising (and I assume on overrun).

        You might also check the advance & retard diaphragms - disconnect the
hoses and suck.  NOTE: if you don't want a mouthful of gas fumes, use something
as a barrier.  I used a piece of saran wrap - but please don't screw up and get
it stuck in your throat.  (Include here the normal "don't kill yourself with
plastic bags" silly warning.)  When you suck, there should be no continuous
stream of air.  My retard has a slightly bad diaphragm, and they are not
available (I think someone will now rebuild them for $$$$$).

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com