Re: Inner panel painting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Inner panel painting
From: "Peter Mchugh" <PMCHUGH@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 09:04:27 EST
     Having just completed the process you describe on a GT-6 I suggest the
     following.

     There are several excellent products which claim to arrest/prevent
     rust on inner panels and undercarriage.  I used Corolles(sp) available
     from Eastwood...applied with either brush or spray.  It is easy to
     apply and though a relatively soft paint, great for hidden places.

     Leave edges where welding will be done unpainted...for these areas use
     spray weld-through rust preventative, available at most auto paint
     places in small spray cans.  The paint is silver (and I suppose
     contains some metal or conductor which permits welding.  My local body
     shop advised to spray thin, but I've had no problems welding either
     spot or MIG through up to three layers of 18 guage mild steel
     sheeting.

     Finally, plan your welding so that you can spray inner areas which
     will be hidden as you assemble the inner and outer rockers and
     fenders...I've used the corroles at 6-10 lbs pressure and gotten good
     coverage (in fact, I've applied enough in the rockers so that the
     product seeped out through cracks in the bottom edges) and sealing.
     Once everything is finished you can apply enamels directly over
     Corroles, or apply appropriate primers for synthetic paints.

     Good luck!