Inner panel painting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Inner panel painting
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 13:06:48
Hi all,

Sometime this winter I intend to replace some panelwork on my
spitfire 1500; sills, headlamp support panels etc. My question is,
how do you paint the inside of, say the outer sill. Clearly it would
be best to paint the inside first, but then welding will damage the
paint when It's attached.  If I leave a strip of unpainted metal on
the welded flange, then surely this seam will be the first to rust
through again.  Once the sills are all together I won't even be able
to get at it with seam sealer. I only want to do this job once!
What's the accepted technique?

Jonathan*************************************
Dr J.E.Miles
School of Biological Sciences