Re: Differential removeal from GT6

To: dano@n-jcenter.com
Subject: Re: Differential removeal from GT6
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 16:43:25 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Greetings !
>
>        I need some help (in many ways).  My pilgrimage into the local
>auto junkyard was today.  I was after the transmission and rear-end off
>a 71 Triumph GT6.  The transmission came out fine, just like it was supposed
>to.  The research I did into earlier threads on this subject helped me out
>immensely.  I did notice however that trans fluid seemed to be leaking
>right around the area where those 3 little springs are.
>
>       Now for my problem.  Since I am working without a manual (and a net)
>I am a little confused.  The rear-end just doesn't want to come out.  It moves,
>but I can't get it.  Here is what I did.
>
>    Disconnected and dropped the prop shaft.  (anyone need it?)
>    Removed the 4 bolts on the axles near the diff on both sides
>    of the car.  One axle moved away, but the other seems to be stuck to
>    the rear end mounts.
>    Removed that nearly foot long bolt holding the rear-end in place.
>    Removed the six nuts on top of the leaf spring.
>    Removed the 2 nuts holding the front of the rear-end in place.
>
>    I am forgetting something?.  I can pry 1 side of the front mount away
>    but the other side seems to be kind of stuck.  I used pry bars and got
>    the whole unit to move around, but it just won't move away from the back
>    mounting area in the u-shaped channels where that long bolt was.
>
>    I am afraid that someone will come along with the proper tool and take it
>    away from me, after I did all of the dirty work so I want to go back
>tomorrow AM and get it.
>
>    Thanks in advance.....
>
>          (just couldn't resist the 'British Leyland' marked AM radio for 5
>bucks.)
>
>               Dano
>
>71 Bond Equipe

Dano,
 Next time you go to the emporium of experienced mechanicals, take a pry bar.
 If the from cross-member is disconnected, half shafts undone, and
everything else visible is out, remember the top 4 or 6 bolts that go
through the springs into the top of the differential housing.
 Now, get after it with a pry bar. Some of these things came be stubborn
so don't let the fear of too much brute force stand in your way.
Best Regards,
Tony
###