SpitfireOverdrive

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SpitfireOverdrive
From: Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 19:25:20 -0700
        Fellow Listers,
        I need help, (isn't that a familiar refrain).  I got my overdrive this
morning, serial # FT47627.  Who can tell me what year this is from?  My parts
book lists a reference to that series being used post '74...that really narrows
it down!  I have disassembled the trans cover from my 72 Mk IV, taken a few
measurements and it looks like I can mount this on the original frame
crossmember by unbolting the angled tranny mounts and acquiring the correct
mount for this new tranny.  Length of new tranny dictates my need to shorten
prop shaft.  This is my true need, a source here in the SF Bay area (preferably
south bay) who can cut down the shaft and reweld yoke, balance, etc.

        Also, what is the best way to take measurements for this:

        Remove old tranny and measure from bell housing to U-joint      flange,
comparing difference with same measurement on new       trans?
        Have this difference removed from the prop shaft?
        Try to track down the exact dimensions from factory specs?

 Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of in this procedure?  With the
vast experience to draw on here, I hope to make this as painless as possible
with as much preplanning as possible.  Thanks in advance for your help and
suggestions.

Chris 'prubrew' Prugh
72 Spitfar
93 Saturn