Re: Differential removal from GT6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Differential removal from GT6
From: dano <dano@n-jcenter.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 22:58:07 -0400
At 04:43 PM 6/14/96 MDT,I wrote:

>>>Greetings !

 The rear-end on the GT6 in the junkyard just doesn't want to come out.  It
moves,
>>but I can't get it.  Here is what I did.
>>
>>    Disconnected and dropped the prop shaft.  (anyone need it?)
>>    Removed the 4 bolts on the axles near the diff on both sides
>>    of the car.  One axle moved away, but the other seems to be stuck to
>>    the rear end mounts.
>>    Removed that nearly foot long bolt holding the rear-end in place.
>>    Removed the six nuts on top of the leaf spring.
>>    Removed the 2 nuts holding the front of the rear-end in place.
>>
>>    I am forgetting something?.

  The consensus of the group seems to be that I didn't apply enough 'brute'
force. The earred part of the diff that goes into the u-shaped channels has
a tendency to get sort of pinched in place.  I was a bit weak at that time
having been there for 5 or so hours in 92 degrees heat.  I was going into
the beginning stages of sun stroke (seriously) and packed up and went home.
The glossy pages of the Kippings catalogue that I had brought along for
reference had melted and stuck together.I shall returned againg tomorrow
with more 'persuaders', a new attitude, and renewed strength.  I shall keep
you posted.

         Thanks for all the responses,

                      Dano (hates the smell of trans/diff fluid)

71 Bond Equipe