TR6 smog/mixture-fest continues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 smog/mixture-fest continues
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 08:43:12 -0700
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net
First of all....

Thanks to each and every person who responded to me personally with tips
and advice on setting the mixture on Kelley's TR6.  I was literally overwhelmed
with the amount of help I received....a testimony about the power of knowledge
properly disemminated and the net (blah blah blah where do you want to go
today? = )

In any event, I'm still searching for the vacuum leak that I believe I have...
I did borrow a tool from a local lister and have set the needles to full rich
to see if that makes a dent....I'm again going over all the connections and
gaskets to see if I can find something glaringly obvious.

Confounding my search is the fact that the car will run with both the advance
and retard vacuum hoses pulled off the carbs...although if I put my finger
over either of the tubes I can discern a vacuum when I increase the engine
speed.  Not sure if they are plugged or not....don't think so anyway.

My biggest problem right now is lack of spark....I fried a condenser last
week while I was at the smog station and had to walk to a local store to get
a new one...I suspect it happened again....anyone know why condensers fry?
I've got no spark...and can't seem to find out why....the coil is good...and
I've got power to it.....I have new points for it too...good time to install
them I guess.

DPO kludged the ignition switch and so I spent about two hours trying to
put it back together properly....a very frustrating, and ultimately futile
attempt.  Confusing me there is the fact that all the wiring diagrams
show ONE brown/white wire going to a single terminal on the back of the
switch, where my car has TWO brown/white wires....I tried a variety of
wiring "setups" but to no avail.  The wires I have which are supposed to
go to the ignition switch are:

2 Brown and white
2 white (one of the pair is a double set of wires)
1 White with red (this is the "hot wire" to the ignition)

All have their respective factory connectors and look healthy....

I think I'll just buy a new switch from Moss.....

Lastly, to all who suggested cutting the gas with ethanol (or alcohol) I will
do...but CA already has this "clean" gas....which I believe is 30% alcohol
already!

Thanks again for all the help.....

Cheers,
teej

--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto       CA      USA     http://www.rahul.net/tjn
Ducati          Triumph         MG      BMW     Lambretta