More on Smogging TR6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Smogging TR6
From: John_R._Wiseman@maciifx.ads-oh.atg.titan.com (John R. Wiseman)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 19:32:27 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Well I finally got through my Ohio E-Check ! I have included some details
on the "experience" that might be useful to you other TR6 owners ( in smog
covered states ).

Round one:

Car purchased with poorly running engine (known condition). No air-pump,
no air cleaners, spark plugs looked OK ( more or less ).  Took it thru the test
and got the following numbers:

         Idle Tests:
                                HC:      1823PPM   ( limit being 450)
                                CO:         5.20         ( limit being 5.00)
         Loaded Tests:
                                 HC:      528PPM     ( limit being 450 )
                                 CO:       9.32           ( limit being 5.00)

Round two:

Replaced plugs and wires,etc ( standard tune up stuff ) and had values adjusted.
Found at this point I had a bad cylinder (#3).  Decided to take it thru again.
New readings ... and passed 2 out of 4 tests.

         Idle Tests:
                                HC:      1853PPM   ( limit being 450)
                                CO:         5.92         ( limit being 5.00)
         Loaded Tests:
                                 HC:      449PPM     ( limit being 450 )
                                 CO:       2.56           ( limit being 5.00)
Round Three:

Had carbs leaned way up and timing advanced to see what would happen.  New
results
allowed us to pass 3 out of 4 tests.

         Idle Tests:
                                HC:      1860PPM   ( limit being 450)
                                CO:         2.80        ( limit being 5.00)
         Loaded Tests:
                                 HC:      449PPM     ( limit being 450 )
                                 CO:       2.56           ( limit being 5.00)

Round four:

Had bad values replaced with no additional carb tweaking.  Passed all tests.

         Idle Tests:
                                HC:      121PPM   ( limit being 450)
                                CO:         0.28       ( limit being 5.00)
         Loaded Tests:
                                 HC:      184PPM     ( limit being 450 )
                                 CO:       0.57           ( limit being 5.00)

Good luck to the rest of you !

mailto:wiseman@titan.com