Re: Spit Starting problem

To: sean_johnson@milacron.com
Subject: Re: Spit Starting problem
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 20:40:14 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Sean Writes:
>I've been trying to get my Spitfire started after a couple of years, and am
>having an electrical problem I'd like some opinions on.

>When I turn the switch to the "start" position, sometimes nothing happens.
>Or, if I hold it in "start" for a second, then try again, the car starts.
 At
-snip-
>I'm guessing now that the contacts in the ignition switch are dirty. Is
there ...

Sean,

1975 was the year of the interlock.  As I understand it, a) you must have
your seatbelt fastened, b) your passenger seatbelt must be fastened if
the sensor-switch detects a passenger before you can start your car.
My '75 parts car also had a <neutral detect switch> on the tranny, so
it's possible that c) the car must be in neutral also.  If these switches
are not by-passed it's possible one of them has gone intermittent.  I would
check them in addition to looking at your ignition switch.  Actually I
would go ahead and by-pass them if they're not already.
The ignition switch can be removed (without the lock assembly)
fairly easily for diagnosis / repair.  You can thank your Government
for these wonderful little "add ons" in mid '70's cars.

Good Luck,
Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->