Throttle Jack Solenoid

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Throttle Jack Solenoid
From: Jim Van Riper <jvr@informix.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:05:00 -0500
Car: 79 TR7 dhc federal duel Zeniths.

Problem: My car backfires when shifting (1-2,2-3) and accelerating at a
reasonable pace.

The piston on my throttle jack solenoid doesn't move. I understand that its
purpose is to slow down the retraction of the throttle when you let off the
gas to prevent/reduce backfiring.

My car also has a hollowed cat. The air pump had frozen up and the air
injection holes were plugged by bolts. I was able to take the air pump apart
and get it going again. I don't remember the car backfiring so much before I
put the air pump back on.

Could either or both of those be the cause of the backfiring?

Also, there is a little switch hanging from wires under the carbs. What's it
for?

Thanks,
jvr

Jim Van Riper
95 Pontiac Firebird Formula Convertible - DrkGrn, TanLeather, M6
79 Triumph TR7 Convertible - DrkGrn, TanCloth, M5
70 Jaguar XKE Convertible - Robin's Egg Blue (ick), BlackVinyl, M4
94 Pontiac GrandAm GT 4dr (wife's)