Re: Failed overdrive

To: "Chris Boston" <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Failed overdrive
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 07:03:12 -0400 "Failed overdrive" (Jun 20, 8:26am)
> Subject: Failed overdrive
> Help!
>
> my overdrive has stopped working.
>
> I went for a 100 mile run over the weekend in the heat, and since then my o'd
> hasn't worked.  It was fine during the run.
>
> This has happened to me a couple of times in the past, and always after a
long
> run, but it usually fixes itself after a few miles.  This is the first time
it
> hasn't.
>
> Is it possibly low on oil? or is it likely to be more serious than that?
>
> I am impressed with the sound it makes at 4000 revs, but I don't want to live
> with it always.
>
> Chris.
>
> --
> -- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.
> --
>-- End of excerpt from Chris Boston

Chris,

I have had this problem in the past as well! There are several possible
solutions and then the complex ones.

First and possibly the most easy solution is that the switch has died.
I would pull the switch cap off and check the switch and wires.

Second, the relay could have packed it in. To check this, with the
ignition on but the car not running and the transmission in third
or fourth, flick the engagement switch. You should hear the relay
and the solenoid engage. If you don't hear a click from the firewall,
then the relay is either dead or isn't receiving any power.

Third, the solenoid could be bad, if you hear the relay click in, but
don't hear the solenoid "thunk", then check the wiring to the solenoid
and the solenoid itself.

Fourth, your gearbox could be low on fluid.

Fifth, the solenoid could be out of alignment. The shop manual has a
fairly good description of how to adjust this.

Sixth, and last, the overdrive itself could have packed it in, and
needs overhaul.

Doug Mitchell