re: Spit Susp. Rebuild

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: re: Spit Susp. Rebuild
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:54:58 -0500
Ross writes:

>I am about to order a major front suspension rebuild kit for my 64
>Spit and find that TRF has one and does Rimmer Bros.  The one from
>Rimmer Bros. is VERY complete (includes trunnions, tie rod ends,
>bushes, nuts bolts, etc., etc., ad naseum), while the TRF kit is
>complete, but is not quite as extensive as the Rimmer kit.  The
>Rimmer kit is actually only slightly more expensive (not including
>shipping from across the pond to the US of A) and seems to be a
>much better deal.
>
>Anybody order one or the other recently and can advise on
>satisfaction of either?

Check our John Kipping, too. I'll bet he's got 'em. Anyway there
is one BIG advantage to ordering from Rimmer Bros. - they'll have
the kits in stock! I'm pretty sure TRF will backorder them.

>Also, Rimmer (and TRF) list an "uprated" front spring for the
>Spit, however, the TRF catalog implies that it is for the Spit
>1500 only, not for early Spits, while Rimmer simply specifies it
>as a Spit front spring.  Other than a possible minor height
>difference is this a direct replacement on my 64 Spit?  And last,
>I am not sure I even need to replace the front springs on my Spit.
>as there was no front end sag before I dismantled the whole bloody
>beast (at least I don't recall any sag).    I was thinking that
>the uprated springs (if they fit) will flatten out the cornering a
>little bit, at the expense of some ride comfort of course (no such
>thing as a free lunch ya know).  Any thoughts on how to test front
>springs to determine if they need replacing?

I suppose measure them unloaded and see if they've compressed any.
Again, don't hesitate to ask Rimmer Bros. or Kipping about this. These
guys know their Spits!

And I just ordered head studs, a cam and those hard-to-find steel
trim strips for the sills from Kipping - all in stock. I also tried to
find Spit Mk3 seat foams, and found them at Kipping, and nowhere else.