Re: Spit Susp. Rebuild

To: rvince00@counsel.com
Subject: Re: Spit Susp. Rebuild
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:28:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> I am about to order a major front suspension rebuild kit for my 64
> Spit and find that TRF has one and does Rimmer Bros.  The one from
> Rimmer Bros. is VERY complete (includes trunnions, tie rod ends,
> bushes, nuts bolts, etc., etc., ad naseum), while the TRF kit is
> complete, but is not quite as extensive as the Rimmer kit.

  Just be sure, wherever you order it from, that it is actually complete.  I
ran into problems with that when I rebuilt my 1500's front suspension.  Was
listed as a "complete rebuild kit" but it didn't have the top arm bushings
and hardware.  It was listed in their catalog (VicBrit) as having
everything, but when I called to complain, they said, "We didn't do it,
thats the way the distributor sends them to us." So I suspect you'll run
into it with other vendors as well.
  Since their catalog definately said it included those parts, and they
didn't warn me when I order, and they refused to send me the $20 worth of
extra parts they owed me, I no longer buy anything from them if I can
avoid it.  But enough ranting, or I'll start in on why I hate J.C. Whitney
:-/

> thing as a free lunch ya know).  Any thoughts on how to test front
> springs to determine if they need replacing?

  It should be as easy as looking up their what their free height should be
in the shop manual, and measuring them once you get them off the car.

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation
                                        '74 MGB, '76 Spit