Re: TR6 or Spitfire for driver

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 or Spitfire for driver
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 09:39:38 -0400 (EDT)
Rodney Orr wrote:

> Many more Spits were made than TR6s (139,587 vs, 94,619, according to R.
> Newton's Buyers Guide) so parts and support should be at least as good for
> the Spits (I've a TR6 and there's no problem with either for them).  If I'm
> not mistaken though, Spitfires, unlike the TRs do not have a separate
> chassis, and are much more difficult to repair should rust require extensive
> restoration work.  I may stand corrected, however.

Yes, you will. ;-) NOTE: run for your life, it's Mr. Annoying Little
Details about Triumphs Guy!

The Spitfire DOES have a separate "backbone" frame. However, details of
the floor structure and particularly the sills make the Spit's tub almost
a semi-monocoque, giving you the best (or worst!) of both worlds. Rust
repair isn't significantly harder on a Spitfire.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *