Alternate engines fo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternate engines fo
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- Transamer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 96 20:22:11 EDT

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

On Mon. Brian Knopp asked:
  Does anyone have any information regarding the use of
alternative engines in a Spitfire?  I've heard that an RX-7
engine adaptor kit exists; are there any others?

Brian  --  I had the same thought as you when I first bought my
older Mk I Spitfire.  The biggest problem you will have is the
front to back distance.  The distance between the radiator and the
front of the firewall (where it is indented for the motor) is a
mere 17 inches!  Moreover, there is precious little room between
the A-arm mounting brackets for anything wider than a small 4
banger (I looked at fitting either a small Chevy/Buick V-6 or even
a small aluminum block Buick 260 cid V-8 and they are way too
wide).  I have heard of an RX-7 rotary engine conversion, but have
not seen one.

Good luck on your search, however,  I would be surprised if you
find anything worthwhile other than the rotary one.  Please let me
know if you find one, as you never know what I'll do later.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)