Boring wet liners

Subject: Boring wet liners
From: Michael Marr <mmarr@execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:23:05 -0700
I have a 1960 TR3A that I intend to start rebuilding this summer.  I have
two choices regarding the engine:

1)  Bore current liners oversize and buy new pistons
2)  Buy the 2.2 litre liner/piston set and install

I suspect (1) will be cheaper, but I'm concerned that I will not be
able find a shop that can bore the liners both concentric to the OD and
perpendicular to the top and bottom.  They would need to be turned in a
lathe.  Does anyone have any experience of doing this?  Even though the
"big bore" conversion is more expensive, maybe it is less hassle in the
long run.  If anyone has a lead on a good machine shop in the South
Eastern Wisconsin area, I'd appreciate knowing.  I'ma sure any good job
shop could do it, but I'd rather go to a shop that has done this before.