TR-6 piston clearance

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 piston clearance
From: "Steve Sutton" <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:50:38 -0700
Comments: Authenticated sender is <ssutton@mail.ridgecrest.ca.us>
Posted-date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:46:22 -0700
Does anyone know what the piston clearance should be on a freshly
bored TR-6?  The Bentley manual is not all that clear on the subject;
gives lots of specs,i.e.  piston grades F, G & H  major diameters, bore
sizes, etc. From that info I calculated a piston wall clearance in a
stock motor to be between .0025" - .0028".  This looks a little on
the 'tight' side for a motor of this vintage, I was expecting .004"
or so.

Anyone out there have a 'definiatve' answer?

Thanks
Steve Sutton
74 1/2 TR-6
Ridgecrest, CA