Working Overdrive...(was: Failed overdrive)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Working Overdrive...(was: Failed overdrive)
From: "Chris Boston" <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:05:25 +0100
Thanks to all who offered advice,

I topped up (or should that be filled, judging by the amount of oil required)
the gear-box last night, and used the overdrive as normal on my way to work
this morning.  Nothing happened until a mile from work, when without warning it
kicked in.  I assume it needed a couple of miles for the oil to get around the
box.

Hmmm. on the subject of topping up the gearbox oil, I know this has been
bounced around before, but there must be an easier way of doing it.  I ended up
taking out the entire transmittion tunnel, not a big job, but tedious.  I have
heard a lot of you folk suggest cutting a hole in the transmittion tunnel, but
that would have to be exactly where the foot rest is.  Don't you guys have foot
rests?

I toyed with the idea of building a ramp like thing that would lift the car by
pulling on a large leaver, but I'm no mechanical engineer, and the chances of
me being able to do it are zero.  Anybody else got some better ideas.

Cheers again,

Chris.

--
-- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.