Tranny Cover Holecutting and Gearbox Oil Filling (was Re: Working Overdr

To: "Chris Boston" <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Subject: Tranny Cover Holecutting and Gearbox Oil Filling (was Re: Working Overdrive...(was: Failed overdrive) ) <9606260805.ZM22850@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:43:52 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
"Chris Boston" wrote:

> Hmmm. on the subject of topping up the gearbox oil, I know this has been
> bounced around before, but there must be an easier way of doing it.  I ended
> up taking out the entire transmittion tunnel, not a big job, but tedious.
> I have heard a lot of you folk suggest cutting a hole in the transmission
> tunnel, but that would have to be exactly where the foot rest is.  Don't
> you guys have foot rests?

First, I think the hole-cutting in the tranny cover has been discussed not
for the purposes of filling the tranny with gear oil, but routing the wiring
for the reverse lights/overdrive harness from the tranny up into the car.
(This hole does not come precut on most of the aftermarket plastic tranny
covers, although the placement was marked on the one I purchased.)

Secondly, the best mechanism I have found for filling the gearbox (and/or
diff) is to use a small handpump.   I have a small hand vacuum pump (a
"MityVac") that I purchased at Walmart for about $25.  It is available from
various mail order companies for around $35-40, if there isn't a Walmart near
you.  I had originally bought it for brake/clutch bleeding.  (It can be used
to pull fluid out of a bleed screw.)  Similarly, I have used it to suck the
old oil of the differential (no drain plug on the late TR6).  It can also be
used in "reverse" to pump fluid, either into the gearbox or the differential.

The kit I have came with sufficient clear tubing (3' or so) to pump fluid up
into the diff or gearbox.  I would highly suggest this tool, or something
similar for this kind of task.

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631