Derattling Rattle and Hum (TR6)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Derattling Rattle and Hum (TR6)
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:06:04 -0700
Last night I spend more than a few hours bent over the engine compartment,
and laying underneath the steering column of Kelley's TR6.

Yesterday the UPS man showed up with a box from TRF, two days after I ordered
it, every piece was in stock, and most of them appear to be of high quality.

I was disappointed that the hose kit I bought (coolant) was made in Taiwan,
I didn't see the point in paying over $100 for the green hose kit....oh well.

Installed new motor mounts, one side had completely delaminated and severed.

Installed new steering rack bushes (without the "compressor"), again, the
cheapy rubber units for now....but the difference was IMMEDIATELY noticeable
at the steering wheel....even with the car stationary.  No more steering play.

Installed new steering column bushes.  This was an adventure, getting the column
out of the car, getting the old bushes out, getting the new bushes in....but
it's done and the steering wheel is nice and tight now.  Also, installed the
new felts (who ever thought that was a good way to locate a steering column?).

Removing the ignition/steering lock switch was a bit tricky, but it can be done.
I used a center punch to "tap" the bolts out...they're not THAT tight, and with
patience it can be done.  Then I filed the chisel marks out and cut slots in
them
for a standard screwdriver, reinstalled just fine.

Installed new "furflex" seals in the door/body and they look good.

Installed the new manifold gasket.  Tonight the carbs will go on...torque
everything
down, HOPEFULLY I've eliminated the vacuum leak.

Finish up the dash and reinstall, heck it might even be driveable this weekend!

Best Regards,
TJ
--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto               CA      USA
http://www.rahul.net/tjn