Re: Topping up Spitfire gearbox <960627181728_565532399@emou

To: S1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Topping up Spitfire gearbox <960627181728_565532399@emout08.mail.aol.com>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 18:47:24 -0400
Cc: dezn490@wadnr.gov, triumphs@autox.team.net
S1500@aol.com wrote:

> I use jackstands but sometimes (adjusting handbrake cables) it would
> be nice to have the car up high and sitting level on its wheels.  I guess
> how high the car needs to be will vary with individuals waist lines
> ;-)

Jackstands can still be used whilst keeping the car level (like, when
topping up tranny and diff fluid) by simply using four of them, one at
each corner.  This is how I usually work on the middle or rear end
undercarriage on the TR6.  I have foudn that to get the car up to
about a foot or so, that it is necessary to lift up one side (or end)
first, to about 6", place the stands under that side, then go to the
other side, lift it to the full height of 12", and then go back to the
first side, and lift it to the final 12" height.

If the jackstands are all set to the same height, and your floor and
frame are straight, the car will be *VERY* steady on the stands.
Before you get under the car, really try to push it off.  If you
succeed, you may wreck part of the car, but will possibly save your life.

> Thanks Dave for the warning.  To the rest of you;
> Don't take my silly advice!  What do I know?  I drive a Spitfire!

Well, the above advice, comes from a TR6 driver.  I don't know how
that compares to Spitfire driver advice...

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer
(http://www.vtr.org)

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631