Re: TR6 Vacuum Retard System?

To: lubetsky@discovery.mak.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Vacuum Retard System?
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:04:07 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ben Lubetsky writes:

> Two months ago I became the proud, if somewhat ignorant owner of a '75
> TR6.

Ben,  Congrats on your purchase!  I hope you have as much fun with
your TR6 as I've had with mine!  You picked a good first task...

> On the distributor I pulled off what I believe to be the Vacuum Retard
> hose (the only one there) while the engine was running... and nothing
> happened.  I checked the shop manual and it says that the engine
> should speed up about 500 RPM with this hose removed.  I tried
> plugging it at the carb end and at the distributor end and still no
> change.

It turns out that the vacuum systems on a '71 and a '75 are quite
different.  Amanda (the '71 TR6) will have about the simplest vacuum
system on any of the TR6s.  The pre-71 cars had vacuum advance and
retard, the post-71 cars had retard, but with more vacuum
connections.  The Roadster Factory TR6 full parts catalogue has some
good pictures which would help out a lot in this instance.

Basically, the '75  vacuum advance *IS* supposed to be connected to a
fitting at the bottom of the front carburettor.  Why you are not
getting vacuum there (are you?) is a different question.  My guess is
that you are getting vacuum, but that the vacuum retard unit on the
distributor is not working properly.  The brass nozzle at the top of
the rear carb is supposed to be connected to a fuel trap, which is
inturn connected to the EGR valve.  I speculate that your EGR valve
may be missing, probably removed by the DPO you mentioned.

It sounds like your carbs are in the right places.  Here again, the
full TRF catalogue has excellent pictures, and a "carb identification
guide" that will help immensely in figuring out if the carbs have been
swapped.

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631