Re: Tranny Cover Holecutting and Gearbox Oil Filling (was Re: Working Ov

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny Cover Holecutting and Gearbox Oil Filling (was Re: Working Overdrive...(was: Failed overdrive) )
From: "Chris Boston" <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 07:55:02 +0100 "Tranny Cover Holecutting and Gearbox Oil Filling (was Re: Working Overdrive...(was: Failed overdrive) )" (Jun 27, 8:43am)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Secondly, the best mechanism I have found for filling the gearbox (and/or
> diff) is to use a small handpump.   I have a small hand vacuum pump (a
> "MityVac") that I purchased at Walmart for about $25.  It is available from
> various mail order companies for around $35-40, if there isn't a Walmart near
> you.  I had originally bought it for brake/clutch bleeding.  (It can be used
> to pull fluid out of a bleed screw.)  Similarly, I have used it to suck the
> old oil of the differential (no drain plug on the late TR6).  It can also be
> used in "reverse" to pump fluid, either into the gearbox or the differential.
>
> The kit I have came with sufficient clear tubing (3' or so) to pump fluid up
> into the diff or gearbox.  I would highly suggest this tool, or something
> similar for this kind of task.

Thanks Ken,

I think you got hold of the wrong end of the stick...

I already use a pump action oil can with tubing to get the oil in to the box,
the problem is getting access to the filler hole in the first place - There is
no chance of getting to it from the ground, and I don't exactly like the idea
of four axle stands.

Sorry for any confusion,

Chris.

--
-- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.