TR7 brake squeal - update

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR7 brake squeal - update
From: David Rupert <75701.242@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 28 Jun 96 10:02:09 EDT
Fellow gearheads,

First off, thanks for all the fast replies!  This list is great. In reply to
Tom's comments, I think I had an old Datsun 240SX that had the type of brake
you're talking about.  The brake caliper only has one piston, and slides on
pins, is that correct? On the TR7, the caliper has two pistons, and is
permanently mounted.

Second, after pulling into the driveway last night in my quiet little
neighborhood with the brakes squealing at top volume, I couldn't take it any
more.  Soooo, I got the car up on stands and removed the clip that goes between
the cotter pins and the pads, and pulled out the squeal shims.  BTW, the clip
was half rusted away and not doing its job, whatever that is supposed to be.  I
only did the right side, as this seemed to be the worst.

This morning, on the way to work, I enjoyed dead silence from the right side.  I
heard a couple short squeals from the left, but that was it.  Looks like tonight
I'll be giving the left side the same treatment.

Now, the only question is, have I created a safety problem?  I see no way in
which the pads can come out of the caliper, as they are held from the bottom by
the caliper body and from the top by the cotter pins.  I also have not seen the
top clip for sale in any of the catalogs. (Vicky Brit, TRF).  I kept all the
hardware, just in case someone tells me I'm headed for certain death with this
scheme.  If so, I'll try the RTV/silicone idea and hope for the best.

David Rupert
75701.242@compuserve.com
1967 TR4A (rigid axle)
1980 TR7 convertible