Re: What's an "SU"?

To: triumph@igc.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's an "SU"?
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 19:33:12 -0400

>Brian Knopp wrote:
>>
>> Hi, again!
>>
>>   I've been reading along and have seen several references to a part
called
>> an "SU".  I infer from context that it has something to do with
>carburation.
>> Could one (or more) of you nice people fill me in?
>>
>> Brian Knopp
>> Programmer
>> Travel Technologies Group
>
>Brian,
>
>My understanding is that SU stands for Skinners Union, manufacturer of
>the carburetors.  There are several models of SU carbureors, HS-4 & HS-6
>to name a few.
>
>Regards,
>
>Chad Jester

I once heard that SU's originally had leather diaphragms to seal the air
piston (a design more like Strombergs); these leather diaphragms were the
product of Skinners' Union.  Whether they originated the whole design or
bought it, I don't recall, but they were primarily a leather products company
in the early days, hence the name "Skinners' Union".

-Karl