Re: TR 4 Dashboard renewal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca (Mark and Judy Dalmaijer)
Subject: Re: TR 4 Dashboard renewal
From: muntsb@HiWAAY.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 02:33:17 GMT
On 7/28/96 5:35PM, in message <199607282235.WAA02231@bernie.compusmart.ab.ca>,
Mark and Judy Dalmaijer <mdalmaij@compusmart.ab.ca> wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> My brother-in-law and I plan on removing our dashboards in our MG TD and TR4
> (respectively) and either putting on new venneer or making new ones. Does
> anyone have any experience doing either? My brother-in-law swears he once
> saw an ad for a template of dashboards for $5-10; does anyone know the
> where-abouts of the company? What are the preferred methods to renew a dash?
> What type of material is typically used -- solid wood, plywood...types of
> wood...? What finishes give the best results which last the longest?
>  As you can see we have a lot to learn but are eager to make this our fall
> or winter project. Any and all advise would greatly  appreciated!!
>
> Mark- 1964 TR4
> Grant 1951 MG TD (honestly, it is a nice car)

Mark,

I veneered the dash in my Spitfire.  It is sooo easy and inexpensive.  If you
make a new dash you should use marine grade plywood.  This material stands up
to moisture much better (or does your car stay dry? :-))and plywood is best
over solid wood because it is more dimensionaly stable through temperature
changes.  A solid dash may crack if it has no place to expand.  I used a
contact cement for veneers, however I can't seem to remember the name.  I am
sure the veneer supplier can give you a good cement.  A spar varnish seems to
be the finish of choice.

Hope this helps.....

Bill M.
'70 MkIII Spitfire