Re: Advice me!

To: sylvain.rozon@relais.com
Subject: Re: Advice me!
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 15:58:11 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
sylvain.rozon@relais.com wrote:

> My interest now lies towards TR7s or possibly 8s. Now, could you tell me if
> thoses cars are good ?
> What should I look for ? (or a mechanic) ?
> What is the actual, fare market range NOW in Canada, USA.

I'm told to stay away from the 4-spd TR7s, since the gearbox is weak, and
the early versions had a horrible ignition system (although the fix for
that is an aftermarket version which is more reliable--I think the most
frequently used aftermarket ignition used is the Allison optical unit).
Another thing to consider is that from 1979 onward (1980 in the case of
the TR8, I think), some of each model had fuel injection, and from what I
can see, aftermarket prices for FI parts are _not cheap_!  Might want to
avoid those models if you're not prepared for some high repair costs,
since I doubt junkyard FI are very plentiful.

> Can you recommend a better car ? MGB, etc.

Now, that sounds like an invitation, in a Triumph group, to a war! <g>

> My budget is 3-5 K only !!!
> You don't say whether you mean US or Canadian dollars.  But I doubt
seriously you would find a TR8 in good shape for under 5K US.  The ones
I've seen advertised in the southwest US are typically $8-10K.  You
should be able to find a decent (but hardly concours) 5-spd TR7 within
3-5K US.
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....