Re: Advice me!

To: sylvain.rozon@relais.com
Subject: Re: Advice me!
From: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 21:11:15 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Sylvain,

<<I call on to you all re. "which british car" is best suited for me.  6
years ago, I owned a 1975 TR6 (turned out to be AWFUL+EXPENSIVE, etc.)>>

Before you give up on a TR6 - We have had three - one new, one in '81-83 and
now another we bought last year.  Our second sounds like your experience,
however our third has been very good.

Compared to TR7&8  - I would give the 6 another look.  A good running car,
mechanically sound can be found for $5500 US.

Parts are relatively cheap and plentiful - the cars are easy to work on, and
most all can be done by the novice - the engines are very solid and will run
forever with a modicum of service

Weak points are a couple of spots on the frame that need a little
reinforcement welded  plates are easy to have installed - at the differential
mounts and in the front suspension.

I don't know a lot about 7's and 8's - other than eights were supposed to be
nice with the V8 and all - and that the 7's were underpowered with the 4
cylinder.  If my memory serves me correctly - both ran the potential problem
of corrosion as the head was aluminum on a cast block, and that they also had
a problem with warped heads as the water pump was a weird design and prone to
poor circulation - both ala the Stag, which I think was the same basic engine
design.

Anyway - just my 2c

JoeSimcoe