Re: 74 TR-6 thermostatic switch <19960814.174419.4567.1.Capt

To: captainzoso@juno.com (Captain Page)
Subject: Re: 74 TR-6 thermostatic switch <19960814.174419.4567.1.CaptainZoso@juno.com>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:27:01 -0400
Cc: streeter@sanders.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Captain Page wrote:

> Yes please.  I would be very much indebted.  Please refrain from getting
> too technical,  you'll really loose me then!  Thanks very much.

Gee, apparently I seem to have established a reputation as giving

Anyway, I have no idea of the history of my car (CF27535, Sept 1974)
before the prior owner.  As such, what is in the car may be original, it
may be a DPO bodge, or a combination of the two.

The thermostatic switch on my car contains four ports, arranged in
approximately the following fashion:  (the letters appear on the switch,
the asterisks (*) mark where the ports are.)

         |----------------------|
         |     M     C    D     |
         |                      |
         |     *     *          |
         |                *     |
         |        *             |
         |                      |
         |       FI             |
         |----------------------|

There are no other notations or model number identifiers on the switch,
except for the leters "HRD" on the opposite side of the switch.

Here is how the ports on my car are wired:

        M  -- This connects to the lower part of the front carb right
              next to the intake manifold.  (Mine is connected directly,
              I presume that there should be an inline fuel trap, since
              a fuel trap is shown in the diagrams on pages 25 and 45 of
              the 1974 TR6 owners handbook. Does anybody know what the
              fuel trap is supposed to do?  Am I risking harm to something
              without it in place?)

        C  -- This connects to a tee connector which in turn is connected
              to the bypass valves on both carbs.  (As with the above
              connection, I have no fuel trap, but presume one should be
              in place.)

        D  -- This is connected directly to the vacuum retard on the
              distributor.

        FI -- This connection is capped off on the thermostatic switch.

As I mentioned above, schematic diagrams of the above connections can be
seen on pages 25 & 45 of the 1974 TR6 owners handbook.  This is the small
5" x 7" glovebox handbook that would have come with the car when new.

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631