:Thrust Washers in the pan

To: amurchi@Quetico.tbaytel.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: :Thrust Washers in the pan
From: cwnicholls@juno.com (Clark W Nicholls)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 08:25:47 PST
Cc: cwnicholls@juno.com, cwnicholls@aol.com
We did this before, but here's the story on thrust washers in the pan.

Usually they fall out because they were installed backawards.  The
indentation in the new thrustwasher must be facing the moving part
(crank surface) since its purpose is to let oil lubricate the surface
there.  If the  oil can't get in, the washer wears out and gets thin and
then falls out.....

The forces that wear the TW out are mainly pushing in the clutch.
Therefore, when you stop put the car in neutral and let the clutch out.
If the previous owner used the clutch improperly, see previous sentence, that
may have done it.

If the engine was run without the thrust washers, the surface of the
crank and block will be in direct contact causing wear.  To fix you need
machining and oversize washers.  I don't know of such an item.

I can't say "been there, done that" for myself, but I know those who
have...

Clark