Re: unleaded fuel for TR6?

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: unleaded fuel for TR6?
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:32:27 -0400
Hello Lars,

I'll add my vote to the option chosen by Philip Barnes.  Just a few years
ago there was a long debate in the Letters section of Hemmings Motor News
about whether or not to spend money on Stellite valve seat inserts, which
seemed to be the preferred solution for many no-lead conversions.

Along with this recommendation was the `on the other hand' choice that may
apply in your case; it was, that unless you plan to drive your car really
hard and fast, and do that often, there is probably no need to pull off
the head just to do the valve seats.  I drive my TR-250 about 1,000 miles
per year, and have been using no-lead Premium for the eight years that
I've had the car, and although I've never had the head off or done a com-
pression check, I haven't felt the need to,  as it runs just fine at all
normal traffic speeds (under 65 mph) and with 77,000 miles on the odometer.
If your car will mainly be a `Sunday driver', not pushed to the RedLine on
the tach, then I'd suggest passing on the valve work until necessary.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
TR-250
SW Ohio