Re: unleaded fuel for TR6?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: unleaded fuel for TR6?
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 16:01:54 -0600
BU>>Just wondered what the experience is using unleaded fuel in TR6. My car
BU>>is imported to Norway from California, and I am being told that in CA
BU>>there is only unleaded fuel to buy, and consequently my car must have
BU>>been using unleaded fuel in its former life.
BU>>
BU>>So, is it true that unleaded fuel will cause the valves to deteriorate?
BU>>If it is, do all californians add lead to the fuel or do they convert
BU>>the engine to accept unleaded fuel?
BU>>
BU>>best, Lars
BU>>'74 TR6 CF27324UO
BU>>
BU>>P.S. For those who remember my posting from July: I got the car on
BU>>Norwegian plates last week, after overhauling the brakes (new
BU>>mastercylinder), the front suspension (total overhaul), steering (new
BU>>rubber and ends), rear suspension (new kit, but I will tell you more
BU>>about this), and clutch (new slave and master cylinder). All done almost
BU>>within budget.

BU>Lars,

BU>The difference in running leaded and unleaded is with unleaded you need
BU>hardened steel valves, other wise the valves will deteriorate.  This is my
BU>understanding, when my engine went thru rebuild we converted to the harder
BU>valves so that I could run on unleaded fuel.  I used to add lead to my fuel
BU>before the conversion.  When did you get the car?  Maybe it was converted
BU>before you got it. Or I would imagine it would take some time to
BU>deteriorate the valves.

BU>I have a question for the list.  My '67 GT6 is newly running, and I got a
BU>new transmission tunnel cover.  I put it in last week (painted it black
BU>first, it came in pink color).  The old one had a coating on the inside of
BU>some fiberous material (could it be asbestos?) and the new one didn't.  The
BU>question is should it have something inside for insulation, or is the new
BU>tunnel material sufficient enough?  If there should be something in there
BU>what is it and where can it be obtained?  There was nothing in the catalog
BU>(VB) to indicate anything else was needed.  As always any and all
BU>information is appreciated.

BU>Jane
BU>'67 GT6
BU>Boulder Colorado USA

Jane,
 A couple of comments re Lars' TR6 and then your GT6.
 The use of unleaded fuel in an older engine will cause a deterioration
of the valve stems and guides, but it will take 60K to 70K miles for
enough damage to occur, and by that time, the engine will either need an
overhaul or replacement anyway, so no big problem.
 On the GT6, the ttranny cover as I recall, did not have any insulation
material, but relied on the interior padding and carpet to help reduce
heat.
 Remember, these cars were designed for use at low altitudes and
climates where the temperature seldom reaches over 90 degree F.
 I used R44 batting fiberglass insulation with foil backing and put it
on the inside of the tranny cover. Installed it with the shiney side out
and held it in place with Scotch 3M spray contact cement #90.
 Reduced interior heat dramatically. I also added a powered fresh air
vent to blow toward the foot wells on both sides of the tranny cover.
 Not a lot of room and requied some creative engineering, but it works
great.
Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com