Re: Sanity Check on TR 6 ownership !

To: Nettater@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sanity Check on TR 6 ownership !
From: Todd Harbold <tharbold@sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 08:37:50 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
>Nettater@aol.com wrote:
>
> Scions,
>
> Most of you have read my problems, and offered advice.  Is is a prerequisite
> of TR owners to have gone insane ?

This is a prerequisite for anyone with a 20+ year old car.....

Don't become discouraged.  Saturday I will be trailering home my
first LBC, a 'new-to-me' '74 Spitfire 1500.  It will occupy my garage at
least until next spring while I do some significant body work and
rebuild
the drivetrain.  By then I should be able to drive it enough to
start sorting out the minor problems...

> Excuse the puling...it's just that the sit/drive ratio is currently hovering
> around 80%/20% and I miss the ragtop.

Sit/drive time ratios like this are not unique to LBCs (although some
would have you believe that).  In the past I have owned and restored
several American muscle cars and experienced similar sit/drive time
ratios.
Any car that is 20+ years old will usually require some type of
attention.
If the car was sitting for a long time before you got it, or if it was
only used infrequently then there are bound to be many things which you
will need
to sort out.  Hang in there, sooner or later you will have
fixed/replaced
enough of the tired and worn parts.  At this point you will experience a
very favorable sit/drive ratio.  Of course we never seem to recognize
our
good fortune when we are in the midst of a favorable sit/drive ratio.

Hope this provides enough encouragement to keep you going!
Happy (future) motoring.

Todd H.
'74 Triumph Spitfire 1500 (picking it up on Sat.)
'94 Ford Explorer (how else would I get the Spit' home?)