Re: Hybrid GT6 rear suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hybrid GT6 rear suspension
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:17:24 -0700
>       Kastner meant to swap just the spring or the spring and its
>     associated 'mounting box' on top of the diff.
>     If you put on the mounting box, that will allow the spring to
>     move 'up' in conjunction with the bottom wishbone on the
>     rotoflex.  I think that it will be working as a quasi
>     double-wishbone setup then (at least for part of its travel)

You can't do one without the other.  If you just replace the mounting box
without replacing the spring you've done nothing more then replace the
clamping plate with another type of clamping plate.  The purpose of the
'swing spring' is to clamp only the lower leaf to the diff providing a small
lateral (roll bar type) stiffness.  This effectively reduces the rear roll
center, preventing the rear from 'jacking up'.  The other leaves are allowed
to 'rock axially' through the center of the mount (within a rubber cushion)
providing almost no lateral stiffness, while still providing full spring
rate.  No matter how you mount a transverse leaf it still acts like a
'quarter eliptic' spring, plus, if mounted to some type of verticle link
acts as a free  'A' arm !
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com
Bschwart@pacbell.net