Re: OD gone ? TR6

To: Nettater@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OD gone ? TR6
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 00:43:22 -0400

<<
 Just for the heck of it, what sort of a noise would a J-type OD make if it
 were going/and or gone.....Possibly a loud klunking if some *idiot* left it
 engaged and another *idiot* reversed ? >>

Carol-

If you are going to back up in overdrive, you may as well go for the record.
At present I believe it to be 32 feet from a dead start.
My personal best is several hundred yards, but I was traveling "over the ton"
as they say when I spun and didn't get it out of gear fast enough. Other
people, it seems, have also tried out for the record, as the last TR6 I
bought had been a contestant for the record.
What I have observed in both cases is that the unidirectional clutch (a set
of about 10 or so, stout bearings, housed in a steel cage with ramps under
each bearing), is turned in the wrong direction. This causes the clutch to
expand to a size larger than the confines of the large machined and hardened
(read expensive), annulus. The annulus cracks apart with the strain. This is
not good. The tail end of the annulus is the shaft that sticks out the back
of your trans.

Going for the record is not a recreational sport I can encourage.

What I have seen is that the clutch jams in the expanded condition inside the
annulus. If you try to drive the car, and if it will move, it will be very
hard to get going as it feels like you are pulling a reluctant elephant
behind you, as it is now basically stuck in both overdrive and direct drive.

With all that said, I did manage to drive the above TR6 almost 10 miles with
the blown up overdrive. I could only use first and second as it did not have
enough power to pull third gear. And yes that poor tranny got veerry hot. And
yes, all the overdrive was history. HOWEVER, as hard as it was to move, it
never made any "klunking" sound, or most any other noise other than a
slightly louder gear whine.

Gears-R-Us
   Nick in Nor Cal