Q: Cam-profiles

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Q: Cam-profiles
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 07:47:25 +0200
Hi,

Can anyone help me with understand the numbers describing the profile
of a camshaft? As far as I remember the standard 1500 camshaft is called
18-58-18-58 (overlap of 36 deg), while the 1300 (Spitfire Mk 3) is called
25-65-25-65 (overlap of 50 deg). What does the individual numbers represent?
It seems the first and third number equals the overlap, but the overlap be-
tween what?

A Kent (or Moss) camshaft typically does not have this symmetri in the numbers,
I can't remember any figures for sure but I think the road version is something
like 28-56-something-else.

Thanks for any help, Peter