re: More Brake MC Problems - 70 Spit

To: muntsb@hiwaay.net
Subject: re: More Brake MC Problems - 70 Spit
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 10:00:31 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill,

The brake MC on '76 and later Spits is different than what your car
should have.  '75 and earlier should be compatible.  The bore in the
'later' MCs are constant, where your car has a 'stepped' bore.  This
is why the MC on pre '76 cars is more expensive to buy or re-sleeve.
The easiest way to tell the difference between the two  types
is by resevoir and cap.  The later MC resevoir cap is much smaller.
The resevoir opening being ~1.5 inches.  You should have a much
larger resevoir opening (~3 inches?) and the cap is almost as wide
as the resevoir body.  The pictures in VB catalog show the different
styles pretty well.

I'm not sure where you are located, so I'm assuming that you have
the US spec 'tandem' or dual circuit brakes arrangement.

Hope this helps,
Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->

on Sun, 17 Nov 96 05:13:57 GMT you wrote:
-snip-
>I'm starting to think that perhaps this MC is from a different
>year Spit or some other car.  Is the bore in the master cylinder larger on
GT6