Re: Spitfire Bumpers - Mk 3

To: ctschmitz@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Subject: Re: Spitfire Bumpers - Mk 3
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 12:26:48 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 2 Dec 1996 Tom wrote:

>      This one has me perplexed. I'm in the midst of restoring my '70 Spit
>      and have just gotten a "new" bonnet.
>
>      Upon offering the bumper up to the bonnet, I find that the outer
>      attach points of the bumper match up quite well with the bonnet, yet
>      the attach points at the hinges are off by about 3/8" on both sides,
>      that is, the attach points on the bumper are inboard of those on the
>      hinges. The profile of the bumper matches the profile of the bonnet
>      pretty well...

>      Am I missing something here?....

Tom, it's likely that there is nearly that amount of adjustment in the
bonnet hinge/support tubes. Is the bonnet currently fitted to the car?
Does it mount up ok to the rest of the body/frame/front valence? I'm
wondering if perhaps the mounts on the front crossmember have been
"realigned" due to some previous damage and subsequent
repair/replacement. If so, one could then move the hinge/support tubes
to fit, but it would louse up the mounting of the bumper.

Perhaps it's also possible that the "new" bonnet has less-than-perfect
hinge/support tubes? They can look ok but be quite far off in terms of
alignment.

Beyond that, assuming that both bonnet and bumper are NOT reproduction
parts, I'm not sure what to suggest. Let us know what you find out.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *