Re: Weber based EFI.

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>, triumph club <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber based EFI.
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 96 07:17:58 EST
On Dec 2,  8:44pm, Paul Burr wrote:
> Here's an interesting tech tidbit I spotted in the Nov. issue of "Kit
> Car". In a article on carbs vs. fuel injection, they mention a fuel
> injection unit based on Weber DCOE or IDA/IDF throttle bodies.

Yup, these throttle bodies bolt onto a Weber side draft manifold.

> The manufacturer is TWM in Goleta, CA.  No phone # was mentioned, so
> you Left coast guys might want to look them up and report back on
> prices, etc.

TWM routinely advertises in various car magazines including Grass
Roots Motorsports, as I recall.  They are also available from
Electromotive, who use them in some of their kits.

> This would be a intersesting set up on a TR6, don't you think?

Yup.

> I can imagine the price ain't cheap.

Well don't forget that the throttle body is just the beginning
of a lot of hardware to retro-fit fuel injection to a carburated
car.  You'll still need the injectors themselves, an electronic
controller of some sort (I'm leaning toward the Electromotive
unit, obviously), and a higher pressure fuel pump.  You'll also
need to re-plumb the fuel lines to handle the higher pressure
and include a return line, and you'll need to modify the gas
tank to take the return from the fuel rail. Its not easy, nor
is it cheap, but it might be a big improvement especially if
the rest of the engine has been modified to take advantage
of the system.

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm