Steering box, last question !

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering box, last question !
From: john gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 09:06:35 GMT
Thanks as always for the useful data on my TR2 steering box re-build. I took the
clever advice regarding the use of a brake hone to reduce the I.D of the rocker
shaft bush, this worked a treat. The rest of the re-build was un-eventful I'm
pleased to say and I am now in the posession of a newly painted and very smart
looking steering column and box. All the parts supplied by Cox & Buckles were
of the usual high standard, except the shims for the end play, which had bolt
holes that did not line up with the end cover, were there two different types??
Anyway I re-used the old ones to the same effect. After all that, my question
is; HOW MUCH GEAR OIL DOES THE STEERING BOX TAKE when filling through the hole
in the steering outer column. None of the manuals gvie the quantity, although
they do mention the grade required. This seems to be the only area of the car
where this is the case. Because I have not yet fitted the column, as all I have
at the moment is a restored chassis an it's components it would be useful to
know the correct volume, so I can fill it up and check for leaks. So what do
you think can the "wisdom" supply the factory recommended amount, or have I
finally stumped you all?????????