Re: Spitfire Seats

To: Isaac <Isaac@avana.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Seats
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 13:10:43 +0500 (EST)
Cc: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Isaac wrote:

> I have two sets of seats for my Spitfire and what I need to know is :
> What should these seats look like.
>
> The set that came with my '71 appears to be a low back style, it has no
> seat glide hardware on the bottom...

> The set that came with my '72 are a little higher, have seat gliders,
> and tilt lever...adjustable headrest...adjust[s] down so that it is
> flush...bump protruding from the top for the driver's
> head. It sits in a recessed area in the top of the seat...
>
> Which one of these seats is a Spitfire seat? Both need
> reupholstering..which should I have done?

I'm not sure either one is from those descriptions. For a U.S.-spec.
1971 or 1972 Spitfire, the seats should have high backs with headrest
built in. The seatback is adjustable, and there should be seat slides
regardless. These are similar to, but differ in several details from,
the 1969-70 Federal seats.

U.S. Spitfires from 1973 on used a low-back seat with adjustable rake and
an adjustable headrest, but the headrest when down fit flush with the top
of the seat (no recess). Upholstery differed in later cars (houndstooth
cloth inserts rather than all-vinyl). Those seats would bolt in easily,
and might not be too hard to find. It could be a bit tougher to find
original 1971-72 style seats.

I leave non-U.S. seat spec's to others on the list. ;-)

--Andy