FW: Air filter Dust Cover

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: FW: Air filter Dust Cover
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 06 Dec 1996 16:24:29 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0547232A8B93D08D-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0547232A8B93D08D*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
 Eric Straub wrote:
[snip] >I've got a US '67 Spitfire Mk2 which was made (or perhaps licensed)
late
>enough to have some early Mk 3 stuff. For example, it does have the pcv
which
>sits on the exhaust manifold & is attached to a hose which comes off the
>valve cover. I know the earlier Mk 2's don't have this PCV & instead vent
the
>hose from the valve cover directly into the air filter dust cover. >I don't
have the dust cover for my filters (perhaps there never was one). I >went to
a junkyard to see if I could get one, but the only ones I saw had an >input
tube to connect the hose from the valve cover. Since I already have a >place
to put that hose (eg into the pcv), it doesn't work for me.  >Here's my
question. Did Triumph make a dust cover for spitfire Mk 2 or 3 >which covers
both airfilters but does not have any tubes connecting to it
>from the valve cover? [snip]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Eric - I wasn't aware that Mk II Spits had a pcv valve in the exhaust
manifold.  That seems a little odd in that it normally would vent into the
intake, not exhaust manifold.  Are you sure about your arrangement?  It
seems to me that venting it into the exhaust manifold is no better than the
old fashioned dump tubes on some older cars.

In any case, you could always try plugging up the hole in the exhaust
manifold and then connecting the tube to the port on the air filter housing
(that is what you mean by a "dust cover", isn't it?).  This would, I
believe, be the proper set up in any case.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C (next project)