Steering Column Rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering Column Rebuild
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 22:00:55 EST
As part of the current upgrade I'm doing on my TR6, I bought the TRF
steering column rebuild kit.  I pulled out the manual on removing the
upper steering column and it's all pretty straight forward until you get
to the part about removing the bolts from the steering column lock
mechanism.  These bolts are made with heads that shear off at a given
torque so the bad guys can't take them out and run off with your car.  Well,
the good guys can't get them out either.  The book says to use a
chisel to spin them out or drill them and use an easy out.  Yeah, right.
 Even with the dash fascia removed, I can't get at these things.  There's
not enough room for a drill, even with a right angle drive and short bit.
 And how come TRF didn't put replacement bolts in the kit?

Has anybody done this successfully?

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (daily driver again soon, I hope)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)