Spitfire Vibration...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Vibration...
From: JAMIEP <Jamiep@cris.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 13:19:25 -0500 (EST)
Fellow list members, I have a problem with my sister-in-law's Spitfire
that I "think" I've diagnosed, but I'd love some conformation before I
tear into the car.

There is a TREMENDOUS vibration/noise eminating from what seems the entire
car ONLY when you back off the throttle at speed.  Doesn't matter whethe
you have the car in gear or not.  Vibration is speed sensitive.

At very low speed, rattle/clunk from just behind tranny.

Sounds like driveshaft U-joints to me; exhaust isn't hitting anything, bu
the thing that was throwing me off was the fact that under power, there
is no noise or vibration whatsoever.

The only thing I can figure is that the hardened surfaces of th
"spider" are chewed up on one "side" but not the other???

She lives about two hours from us, and I'm there until early after-
noon, so if any of you could give me a quick confirmation or disagree,
I'd appreciate it!

P.S. sorry if this text looks disjointed, I'm on different software
than I'm used to and I'm having to individually enter lines...

Jamie Palmer