TR6 Carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Carbs
From: Jdttrs@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 14:56:46 -0500
I have been following the talk about triple carbs on a TR6 and thought it was
time
to put in what has worked for me. I too was disappointed in the way my TR6
ran
with the stock Stromburg carbs. It always ran rich. The one turn adjustment
on
the needle was not enough.

First I tried a rebuilt set of Stromburgs from a TR4, hoping that with an
adjustable
jet, I could get the mixture correct. This required redoing the throttle
linkage as
the TR4 works in the opposite direction. This I was able to do. The engine
would idle
much better and the mixture was good. The only problem was a flat spot around
1800 to 2200 RPM. I felt this was due to the needle being tapered for a 4
cylinder
rather than a 6. I found in the Stromburg needle chart a needle that was
close to the
one used in the TR6 was unable to find anyone that carred such a needle.

Still not satisifed, I decided to try a set of SU's. I put on a set of new
HS6 SU with
needles for a TR6. These SU's came with adjustable jets. With this set up the
engine
will idle smooth as silk and I can adjust the idle speed down to 850 RPM. The
engine
runs good and this is on a 69 TR6 with untold number of miles. The engine has
not
been rebuilt in the 10 years I have had it and doesn't burn oil.

So I say , why run triple stromburgs, when two SU's will do.

Dean T.
32 years driving Triumph's
58 TR3A                 64 TR4
60 TR3A                 69 TR6